Welcome to Olney Friends School
Established in 1837 by the Ohio Yearly Meeting of Friends, Olney continues to cultivate the Quaker values of consensus, integrity, and cooperative conflict resolution while honoring ethnic, racial, religious, and socio-economic diversity. Students participate integrally in all aspects of community life, including decisionmaking in the dormitories, deliberating on academic offerings, and working in the kitchen and on the farm. 100% of Olney graduates are admitted to 4-year accredited colleges and universities.
The school is located on 350 USDA certified organic acres near the town of Barnesville, Ohio, in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains. The area is largely agricultural; nearby areas of ecological interest allow the school to offer hands-on environmental science education. The Olney farm provides not only food for the community, but also educational opportunities for students and revenue for the school. The Olney curriculum takes advantage of its small size, international student presence, and culture of inquiry to offer a unique academic environment for high school students. All courses teach core college preparatory material and skills while offering students opportunities to choose to engage with material at greater depth and at an individual pace.
Olney is accredited by the Independent School Association of the Central States (ISACS), and is a member of the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) and the Friends Council on Education (FCE).
4:1 Student-to-Faculty Ratio
Despite increasing enrollment, Olney Friends School still maintains one of the best student-to-faculty ratios of any secondary school in the United States! National average is 16:1!
An International Community
In the past three years, we have welcomed students from over twenty states and a dozen countries, including Germany, Japan, Afghanistan, China, Rwanda, Ethiopia, Mexico, Costa Rica, Saudi Arabia, Ecuador, Vietnam, Russia, and South Korea.
100% College Acceptance Rate
Over the past decade, students have been accepted to over 200 different four-year colleges and universities. Acceptance to at least one baccalaureate institution is required for graduation.
Upcoming at Olney
- 0404.April.MondayNo events
- 0505.April.TuesdayNo events
- 0606.April.WednesdayNo events
- 0707.April.ThursdayNo events
- 0808.April.FridayOlney Friends School, 61830 Sandy Ridge Road, Barnesville, OH 43713, United States8:45-9:45 am: Faculty Meeting, Self-Gov9:45-10:45 am: Community Meeting followed by All-School Sing10:45 am-12:00 pm: All-School Project
- 0909.April.SaturdayOlney Friends School will be hosting ACT testing at the Stillwater Science Center on Saturday, April 9th. Testing begins at 8:00 a.m. and doors will open at 7:30 a.m. The Stillwater Science Center is located at 998 Shamrock Drive in Barnesville, Ohio. If you have questions, please contact us at 740-425-3655.
- 1010.April.SundayOlney Friends School, Sandy Ridge Road, Barnesville, OH, United StatesNo additional details for this event.
Olney Friends School is an independent, co-educational, college preparatory boarding and day school offering individualized instruction in small class settings for grades 9-12.
The Main Office is staffed seven days a week from 8:00 a.m. till about 10:00 p.m. when school is in session. The administrator on call is available for emergencies 24 hours a day during the school year at 740-359-4015.